A career in the Armed Forces can significantly affect your daily life, as well as the lives of your family members. As a result, we recognise that the Armed Forces community is in need of considerable support. In 2011, we signed the Hertfordshire Community Covenant to demonstrate our commitment to providing our Armed Forces’ affiliated residents with guidance and support when it is required: Hertfordshire Armed Forces Covenant updated 2021 (hertfordshireheroes.org)
Members of the armed forces who qualify to our housing register will receive additional points if:
- They are serving in the regular forces and are suffering from a serious injury, illness or disability which is attributable to their service;
- They formerly served in the regular forces;
- They have recently ceased, or will cease to be entitled to, reside in the accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence following the death of their spouse or civil partner who served in the regular forces and whose death was attributable to that service;
- They are serving or have served in the reserve forces and are suffering from a serious injury, illness or disability which is attributable to their service.
- Armed Forces points will only be awarded once. If the applicant is housed by the Council but wishes to move again in the future, the additional points will not be awarded again.
I have left the Armed Forces and require housing, do I need a local connection to join the Housing Register?
- Armed Forces and Ex-Armed Forces are exempt from Local Connection criteria if the application is made within five years of discharge (includes bereaved spouses and civil partners leaving service family accommodation following the death of their partner).
If I am applying using the Armed Forces’ criteria, do I still require a housing need to join the Housing Register?
- You must meet the same criteria as set out in the policy and have an identifiable housing need to receive points. However, as Armed Forces, you are entitled to ten additional points if the application is made within five years of discharge.
What local support and advice is available to me within Dacorum?
- You can find a list of resources and local support and advice for people who have served in the Armed Forces (and their families) at: Supporting the Armed Forces (dacorum.gov.uk)