If you need to move from your council-owned home within Dacorum, either because your current home is unsuitable, or you would like to move into supported housing, you can apply for a housing transfer. As one of our existing tenants, you can move to a different home with us or another social landlord. 

I am under-occupying my home and would like to downsize - how do I do this?

  • You should apply for a housing transfer by completing a housing register application to let us know that you wish to transfer. 
  • You may be eligible for our Help to Move payment for assistance in moving to smaller or more suitable accommodation. 
  • Please click Help to Move Policy for further information 

I have medical needs in the home, and may need a transfer - what should I do?

  • If your current home is impacting your medical and health conditions, you should complete a medical form and provide supporting evidence. Please see Medical Assessments for more information.

What is a mutual exchange?

  • If you are a council or housing association tenant you can apply to swap homes with another tenant. This is called a ‘Housing Mutual Exchange’. Finding a mutual exchange could save you months (even years) of waiting on a housing transfer list -  and the best thing is that you get to choose the home you want for yourself.
  • Housing Mutual Exchange operates across the whole country, allowing council and housing association tenants to swap their home with another tenant in their own local area, or further afield in another town or county.
  • There are many reasons why tenants wish to swap homes, for example:
    • To relocate for work or family reasons.
    • To 'downsize' to smaller accommodation.
    • To get an extra bedroom for a growing family, or a garden perhaps.
    • To get ground floor accommodation for mobility reasons (conditions apply).

Where can I register for a Mutual Exchange?

HomeSwapper and House Exchange  are national online home swap services. By registering with both websites, you will open up your options to a wider range of properties. Homeswapper.co.uk is the largest mutual exchange tool in the UK and Houseexchange.org.uk can offer user-friendly tools to find multi-way swaps.